Thank you for your interest in applying for AIR's New Voices scholarship! If selected, you'll attend the 2019 Third Coast Conference, Oct. 31–Nov 2 in Chicago, Illinois. But that's just the beginning. You'll also join a growing alumni group of 200+ New Voices changing public media and podcasting as we know it.
Please complete the application below after carefully reading the following information and be sure to read the FAQ before applying.
Here are a few other requirements to consider before submitting your application:
• AIR membership is not required to apply.
• You must be 18 or older to apply.
• AIR will award up to $1,500 per individual. Please note that scholarships are distributed after satisfactory completion of all scholar requirements. On the application, you are asked to indicate a range for your request, based on your need. While it is not required, we prefer that scholars put forward matching funds from their organizations, or some of their own funds, to attend the conference. If scholars are able, please indicate an estimate of matching funds from your host organization and/or your own funds to to cover conference expenses.
• All New Voices Scholars are required to attend and participate fully in the 2019 Third Coast Conference in Chicago, Illinois. All New Voices Scholars are gathered for a two-day retreat on Tuesday, October 29 and Wednesday, October 30, 2019, before Third Coast Conference begins. The full New Voices time commitment is October 29–November 3.
• To be considered, you must be based in the U.S. or its territories. You do not need to be a U.S. citizen.
• We will notify scholarship recipients of our decisions no later than July 29th.
• We will make decisions based primarily on the responses you submit and the references you list.
• If you wish to pause your application and return to it later, remember to save your progress.
• You will also be required to attend a New Voices listening session and other conference activities as well as to work a shift at the AIR conference booth.
• If chosen, you will be asked to publicly identify yourself as a New Voices Scholar in your bios and bylines.
• After the conference, you will be asked to submit an invoice for the amount you were awarded, along with a brief (750‑ to 1,000-word) report about your experiences and ideas for how innovative audio and multimedia producers can take public media into new communities and expand public media's audience. We'll also be very interested to hear about the connections you will make.
The deadline for applications is May 31st at 11:59pm Eastern Time. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
Questions? Contact AIR's Program Director Tran Vu at email@example.com