THE AUDIO WORLD NEEDS A MORE DIVERSE POOL OF EDITORS!
You see that job announcement: a podcast or radio show is looking for a story editor. Your first thought: that’s me!
You know you’ve got the instincts. You’re creative; you’re visionary; you think critically about narrative, structure, audience, and voice. Most importantly, you’re collaborative — you love working with others to craft and shape a story.
But there’s a problem: the job posting requires experience, and you’ve never actually had a chance to edit anything that’s gone out into the world. The path to becoming an editor can feel mysterious and infuriatingly circular: how are you supposed to get experience editing if an editing job is the only way to get experience?
When we look around the narrative audio industry, we see a relatively small pool of editors who come from too-often homogeneous backgrounds and sensibilities, all competing for the same jobs. We see a deep need for more Black and brown editors, and editors from a broader range of perspectives and life experiences. But there’s often no obvious way for people who want to be editors to get there.
We’re here to bridge that gap. This program is intended to diversify the editing landscape, build ongoing community, and set you up for future employment. It will show you the building blocks of narrative audio editing (story structure, the art of giving feedback, managing projects, etc), introduce you to your future colleagues, and connect you with a professional mentor who will work with you after the training on a real-world edit. You’ll come out with a bulked-up resume and the skills and support you need to feel confident hitting “Apply.”
Please complete the application below after carefully reading the following information:
• Please read our FAQ completely before applying.
• You must be 18 or older to apply.
• Having an AIR membership is not a requirement to apply.
• We will provide a $1,000 stipend per person for your full participation in the training, including the mentorship portion. Payments will be made in the name of the participant, no exceptions.
• Toward the end of the program, you will be asked to submit a brief evaluation about your experiences to help us learn how to make the program more useful and informative.
• If you wish to pause your application and return to it later, do remember to save your progress.
The application deadline is January 21, 2022 at 11:59PM PT. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
*An online info session was held on December 17, 2021. Watch the recording of this info session.
Further Questions? Contact email@example.com