Thank you for your interest in applying to AIR's New Voices! If selected, you'll be joining a growing alumni group of 200+ New Voices changing public media and podcasting as we know it.
At AIR, and within audio at large, we face a moment that calls on us to reimagine whose voices are heard, welcomed and valued in our industry. We also have the opportunity to reflect on what drew us to audio in the first place and to redefine, unapologetically and on our terms, the role we want to play in its future. To fully meet this moment, we invite your voice. The time to prioritize underrepresented narratives and talent is long overdue. We envision a future where each of us—particularly those whose lived experiences were challenged by structural inequity long before 2020—has the resources, support and access to opportunity needed to stay the course of our respective creative paths.
This year, New Voices will take shape digitally to best support the needs of our participants throughout the U.S. due to the ongoing impact of COVID-19. New Voices Captain Elena Rivera and AIR’s New Voices Program Coordinator Casper will spearhead the 5-month program from August to December 2022. New Voices will bring together a cohort of emerging media makers to build, reflect and engage in critical dialogue on their creative journeys.
Through online discussions, interactive roundtables, activities and workshops led by New Voices alums, AIRsters and distinguished industry speakers, participants will better understand their role as mission-driven storytellers and emerge with a clearer picture of how they can bring their values to catalyze change within the industry.
In addition to receiving a stipend of $1000 and resources, selected participants will gain national exposure as they work with mentors, build their capacity as media change-makers and demonstrate how audio and media can catalyze positive and lasting narrative change.
Please read the following information carefully before applying.
Here are a few other requirements to consider before submitting your application:
- AIR membership is not required to apply.
- You must be 18 or older to apply.
- You must be able to participate in all monthly virtual programming. Content and networks are focused primarily in the U.S, and in English. Programming dates are as follows:
- Wednesday, August 2, 2022
- Wednesday, August 17, 2022 (*optional office hours)
- Wednesday, September 7, 2022
- Wednesday, September 21, 2022 (*optional event to meet mentors & other alumni)
- Wednesday, October 5, 2022
- Wednesday, October 19, 2022 (*optional office hours)
- Wednesday, November 2, 2022
- Wednesday, November 16, 2022 (*optional office hours)
- Wednesday, December 7, 2022
- Wednesday, December 14, 2022 (*optional office hours)
- You do not need to be a U.S. citizen to apply but you must be based in the U.S.
- We will make decisions based primarily on the responses and the references you submit.
- AIR will notify scholarship recipients of our decisions no later than July 5, 2022.
- AIR will award a $1,000 stipend per scholar for your full participation.
- You will be asked to publicly identify yourself as a New Voices Scholar in your bios and bylines.
- You will be asked to submit a brief (750‑ to 1,000-word) report about your experiences and your vision for the future of audio, the ways in which you can help shape the industry, ideas for how innovative audio and multimedia producers can take public media into new communities and expand public media's audience. We'll also be very interested to hear about the connections you will make.
The deadline for applications is May 25, 2022 at 8:59PM PT / 11:59PM ET. If you wish to pause your application and return to it later, remember to save your progress.
Attend an online info session on Thursday, May 19 at 12PM PT / 3PM ET.
Questions? Contact AIR's New Voices Program Manager Casper at firstname.lastname@example.org.